“EU firms already export over €58bn in goods and €28bn in services to Japan every year.
In the past European firms faced trade barriers when exporting to Japan, which mad e it hard for them to compete.
The trade agreement with Japan :
- removes these barriers
- helps us shape global trade rules in line with our high standards and shared values
- sends a powerful signal that two of the world’s biggest economies reject protectionism”
As of 1 February 2019, a large part of the Strategic Partnership Agreement between the EU and Japan also applies on a provisional basis.
For Further information :
- EU Commission’s website : http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/
- Press release – EU-Japan trade agreement enters into force
- MEMO on the Economic Partnership Agreement